Angel Food Cake with Lemon Curd – GBBO technical bake 1

August 23, 2013

Blah blah blah Great British Bake Off, blah blah new series. Watch it, bake it, wonder at the comedy genius of Mel and Sue (controversial, but I love them).

As you can imagine, the bake-blogging fraternity has got very excited (and rightly so, I just can’t express it any better than about a million other people already have done). So, how do we express out joy? We bake along with it.

Here’s my attempt at the first technical bake of this series of The Great British Bake Off. I’m pleased with the rise and the texture, but as you will see I had a few problems getting it out of the tin – hence the retro icing. The cake is a very different texture to normal cake, as Jen notes here -it’s kind of foamy. I liked it for a change, but I wouldn’t want it as my only cake source!

I’m also feeling rather smug at having made my first ever batch of lemon curd, the rest of which I shall be giving to Connie next door as a thankyou for cat sitting. How suburban!

Mary Berry Great British Bake Off Angel Food Cake Lemon Curd

Ooh la la, 80s style piping

Mary Berry’s Angel Food Cake with Lemon Curd

(I halved this)
125g plain flour
300g caster sugar
10 large egg whites at room temp
Finely grated zest of two large lemons
Tablespoon lemon juice
1tsp cream of tartar
1/2tsp salt

Instructions here on BBC Food or available in the Bake Off book

GBBO Great British Bake Off Lemon Curd Angel Food Cake

Icing hides the world

Lemon Curd ( I halved it)
10 large egg yolks
400g caster sugar
Grated zest of two lemons
Juice of four lemons
175g unsalted butter

Instructions here on BBC Food or available in the Bake Off book

Topping (I just used vanilla buttercream)

You can see all the bloggers who are baking along with GBBO by checking out the “Great Blogger Bake Off” hosted by The Crazy Kitchen and Mummy Mishaps and also the link up over at Bakers Anonymous

GreatBloggersBakeOff

Thanks to Anne for pointing me to the Mary Berry recipe (you can sample her Lemmy cupcake and more at Swallows Cakes and Bakes)

Oh, and I’ve hidden this down the bottom, but for the sake of full disclosure, this is what the icing is hiding:

GBBO Bakeoff angel food cake mary berry

Never try to get it out without a palette knife

Advertisements
  1. August 23, 2013 1:56 pm

that’s what icing is for!
    I think if I make mine again I will have it with whipped cream instead of italian meringue icing – and you did better than me as my lemon curd came out of a jar!
    It looks great & bet it tasted it too. Thanks for joining in with the #GreatBloggers BakeOff

2. August 23, 2013 4:09 pm

It’s beautiful and I actually dig the 80’s style icing! What tin did you use? I love the shape

• August 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks Aimee, I used a plain ring tin that had been lurking at the bottom of my mum’s cupboard and I nicked a few years ago! It’s on old school copper coloured one.

3. August 23, 2013 4:18 pm

You are brave trying that recipe – I felt really sorry for the gang on Bakeoff having to try something so unfamiliar! Yours looks fab.
    x

4. August 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Gill Its lovely – looks light lemony – summery !

5. August 23, 2013 5:24 pm

You’re brave going for the Angel Food option, I thought that looked mighty scary. Lemon curd and icing can make anything delicious though can’t it?

6. August 23, 2013 8:40 pm

We would have done just the same! many a time we have iced a cake to hide a hole!

7. August 23, 2013 8:51 pm

i admire you trying the angel good cake and i dig that icing! i think retro icing shoud be brought back and it is perfect for hiding little blemishes! and i have never made lemon curd but i should as i love it x
    thanks for linking up x

8. August 23, 2013 10:10 pm

oh lol i love your writing style you made me smile ps love your honesty and your cake 🙂

9. August 24, 2013 11:34 am

Eek! But as always you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover, and the proof is in the eating!

10. August 25, 2013 6:21 pm

I love the idea of baking along with the show, it’s great to see how people handle the recipes. I’m not sure I’ve ever tried angel food cake but I love the idea of the combination with the lemon curd.

11. August 26, 2013 9:12 pm

I just watched the first show and you are very brave to give the angel cake a go! Yours looks great. I had no idea there was a technique involved with the tin: I would definitely have greased it. I’m quite tempted to make a cake with rice flour and see if I can get mine to taste as good as he did on the show.