Chocolate Dipped Mango Macarons

May 26, 2013
mango curd macaron

Bring me sunshine….

This blog was born with macarons.

These are not an improvement but that’s ok. Firstly because I can, on occasion, be a stubborn pigling and there is nothing like being close but not quite good enough to make me grit my teeth and have another bash (ok there are all those other things I want to bake that have a habit of distracting me, but we’ll forget that for now). Secondly, because I have an excuse: my hand-made piping bag exploded when I tried to make these. It’s my own fault for making the macaronage before looking for my piping bag and realising I’d thrown it out. It seems that my piping bag creation skills are somewhat lacking. This meant that I couldn’t pipe them and just had to dollop the mixture instead. Not really the ideal way of making a delicate macaron.

hand dipped macarons

“hand dipped” if you want to sound posh

Macarons

130g ground almonds
160g icing sugar
3 large egg whites at room temperature ~ 90 – 100 grams total (aged 24 hours minimum)
65g caster sugar

The recipe can be found here at Macaron Diaries which also has excellent tips on problem

Mango Curd

1 large ripe mango
Zest and juice of 1 lime
125g golden caster sugar
125g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
The recipe can be found at  Loving Homemade

The mango curd is my first ever curd. It came out a tad runny, which meant I had to mix it with buttercream to make the filling. I”m a bit disappointed that it wasn’t more mango-y but I think I’ll go back to basics and try lemon curd soon.

It seems strange that I’ve not attempted macarons again since the birth of Pigling Bland. I never seem to have enough eggs or enough almonds at the same time. So whilst I don’t bake  solely for online challenges, this month has been one where the various challenges have been brilliant for pushing me. I have had to re-visit bakes which I’ve sort-of managed in the past but not been happy with.

I’m entering these into

Classic French: Macarons hosted by A Kick At The Pantry Door and run by Blue Kitchen Bakes
and
We Should Cocoa: Mango and chocolate hosted by Allotment 2 Kitchen and run by  Chocolate Log Blog / Chocolate Teapot

Advertisements
  1. May 26, 2013 10:39 am

These look lovely, I think! I’ve never tried making macarons before (I’ve never even eaten one before!) so I have nothing to compare them to. 🙂 I was going to try and make them for the French Challenge and I’ve egg whites aging beautifully in my fridge, but I went and scuppered my foot and I’m not allowed to stand, so I won’t be baking anything 😦 Pass us one or two of your macarons instead please! 😀

2. May 26, 2013 11:43 am

Ooh mango curd, now that is a curd I haven’t made. The mango flavour may have been faint, but the colour is very much there. Spooned rather than piped your macarons might be, but they still look fabulous and so tasty that I’m feeling nothing will now do but a chocolate dipped mango macaroon. Thanks for entering these into We Should Cocoa

• May 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah…that colour is a little bit enhanced. Sorry! I’m a cheat 😦

3. May 26, 2013 1:50 pm

These look delish – I love mango and the thought of mango curd makes me weak at the knees… I’m imagining it as an ice-cream topping, a pancake accompaniment and all sorts of other decadent things. Right. I have to go. Mangoes to find… 😀

4. May 26, 2013 3:54 pm

They look great, even without a piping bag! Thanks for the mention – my mangoes were really over ripe so possibly more strongly mango flavoured because of that?

• May 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Ah yes, maybe. One was over ripe but the other was less so. They were quite small ones too.

5. May 26, 2013 7:18 pm

What a fabulous combination of flavours…I imagine a macaron with mango curd and chocolate must taste divine…and it doesn’t matter that you had a piping bag explosion…as long as they tasted good 🙂

6. May 27, 2013 6:48 pm

These look so delicious, the mango curd is such a vibrant colour. Well done on combining two challenges for this post. Piping bags can be a pain in the bum sometimes so I’m impressed at how good your macarons look using a spoon. I get stroppy with my reusable silicone bag sometimes so good to know I can do dollops if necessary. Thanks for entering into Classic French

• May 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Er…I should come clean and say I used a tiny bit of colouring in the filling as it wasn’t yellow enough. Sorry to disappoint.

7. May 27, 2013 10:28 pm

These look great. Very good effort – who needs a piping bag when you have macaroon dolloping skills like that. Lovely recipe, lovely post

Sebbyholmes

8. May 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Gorgeous, love the idea of dipping them in chocolate! I attempted to make mango curd for my WSC entry but it didnt turn out well at all, have bookmarked your recipe when I’m ready for the rematch!

9. June 11, 2013 5:53 pm

I’ve only tried making macaroons a couple of times, and it didn’t go brilliantly for me. I should really try again…. yours look lovely 🙂