Cornish Fudge Fairings

July 11, 2012

A quick post for a quick bake.

Cornish Fudge Fairings

Inspired by my recent holiday to Cornwall I wanted to make Cornish Fairings and add a bit of cornish fudge ontop.  In my hurry to make these pre-work I forgot the Bicarbonate of Soda but they still taste fine, they just didn’t rise as much. You can see what they should look like here at Baking for Britain, where I got the recipe from.

Cornish Fudge Fairings
(With thanks to Baking for Britain)

100g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda – unless you forget it, like me
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice
40g golden caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
3 tablespoons of golden syrup (in cold weather, warm the syrup before adding to mix
fudge, enough for one 1/2cm square piece per cookie
Preheat oven to 200c /400f / Gas Mark 6
Mix flour, salt, baking powder, bicarb, ginger, mixed spice and sugar in a big bowl>
Dice butter and run into the dry mixture until it’s like breadcrumbs
Stir in the syrup and using your hands bring together to a dough
Roll roughly 20 balls of dough (marble sized) and space out on lined baking sheets
Bake for 7 mins.
Chop fudge into tiny cubes and as you take the cookies out of the oven press a cube into the top of each one. It should melt as the cookies cool

All lined up and ready to eat. Mmmmm

I’m entering these into Teatime Treats as I think that they are a perfect cake stall bake because they are so quick and so British.

Added later: I feel guilty for not confessing that this is what my first attempt looked like…

Fairing Fail

Advertisements
  1. July 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I think I’ll have to make some of them for my boyfriend for his birthday as fudge is his favourite sweet. They look yummy 🙂

• July 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks, I tried making them before with chopped up fudge in the dough, but because the fudge melted they never really set and came out like pancakes!
      Don’t forget the bicarb like I did 🙂

2. July 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Those TOTALLY do it for me Gill….I mean FUDGE too? YES! I also ADORE Cornish Fairings too, a super entry into Tea Time Treats thanks! Karen

3. July 12, 2012 9:10 pm

How was your holiday? Hope it was too soggy- what a lovely part of country to holiday in. And thank you so much for being inspired to bake these for us!

• July 12, 2012 9:13 pm

It was brilliant – thanks for asking. It was quite rainy but it’s such a lovely place that it really didn’t matter. I’ve completely fallen in love with St Ives.
      Your cycling adventure sounds brill. Have you set a date for the big day?

4. July 13, 2012 4:30 am

Hi, I’m dropping by via Tea Time Treats. These cookies look really delicious. I could eat them by the box full.

• July 13, 2012 7:18 am

HI Mich, thanks very much for dropping by. I’m glad you liked them 🙂 I love TeaTimeTreats – it’s great for finding new people and bakes.

Trackbacks