Winter Frasier (Spiced Plum)

October 11, 2012

This is not just any Frasier, this is a Frasier…

Spiced plum and port frasier

d’hiver (Winter Fasier – or at least that’s what I hope it means)

…for the winter. Or a Frasier d’hiver, if you will. The créme mousseline is spiced cinnamon and nutmeg, and the traditional strawberries are replaced with port-roasted plums.

A while ago I attended a masterclass with Eric Lanlard, courtesy of Nielsen-Massey. He showed us how to make a Frasier and challenged us to make our own take on it.  I had intended to make this sooner but as I have all-too-frequently complained, our kitchen has been out of action. On Tuesday night the tools were taken away, the dust sheets removed and our kitchen with was (mostly) revealed (cue excited squeal at Rangemaster oven and belfast sink).

Within 8 hours I was happily up to my arms in flour and sugar and baking this.

Eric Lanlard and Nielsen Massey Frasier

My take on Eric Lanlard’s Frasier recipe

It just so happens that the Great British Bake Off  (UK TV programme) used the Frasier cake as their “technical challenge” the night before – total coincidence . This recipe differs  from GBBO’s, but since I was taught it by a french baking legend I’m going to bank on it being authentic. Well, it was until I got my hands on it and tweaked it for more autumnal consumption.

Frasier d’hiver

I kept the vanilla sponge exactly the same -you can find the original recipe here

For the créme mousseline follow the recipe here but put a cinnamon stick into the milk as you heat it the and grate in a little nutmeg. Remove the cinnamon stick just before making the créme. Instead of Kirsch, I used cherry brandy.

For the fruit filling  stone and thinly slice enough plums to around the edge, lay them into a baking dish, pour over a good glug of port and sprinkle with a little cinnamon.  Cover the dish in foil and put in the oven to steam until tender. In another dish to the same with enough whole plums to fill the cake when stoned and chopped. One the fruits are just tender remove from the oven and leave until completely cool. Use the slices to arrange around the edge and then chop the whole ones to go in the centre.

I wussed out of toasting the marzipan.

plum and cinnamon

Port-roasted plums and a cinnamon, nutmeg & vanilla creme mousseline

So, what do you think? Has a french classic been transformed into a lovely, British, autumnal delight?

Great British Bake Off Frasier

I’m entering this into the October edition of Alphabakes , hosted by The more than occcasional baker as it has Nielsen-Massey vanilla in it. Tenuous – moi?

Also submitting to Simple and in season hosted by Franglais Kitchen

1. October 12, 2012 5:42 pm

I LOVE IT! It is a thing of beauty and pure genius Gill! Karen

2. October 12, 2012 8:49 pm

wowzers. This is stunning Thanks so much for linking to simple and in season with such a gorgeous thing. Enjoy it! Nazima

3. October 13, 2012 10:51 am

oh my..what a fabulous idea of using winter flavours..loved the use of plums instead of strawberries. It does look gorgeous.. And yes, i am indeed glad we had the masterclass

4. Janet permalink
    October 14, 2012 12:14 pm

A masterpiece, this lookslike a perfect autumnal dessert.

5. October 17, 2012 3:06 pm

This is fantastic. Although I think that the link to the simple part of in season is also tenuous!

• October 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Fair point…. It was more simple than I expected though

6. October 18, 2012 12:17 am

Wow this looks amazing!! I will therefore accept the tenuous N :) I love how you’ve used plums, cinnamon and nutmeg. Definitely perfect for autumn/winter. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

7. October 18, 2012 4:25 pm

A fantastic winter twist! It looks beautiful too. You’ll have to take some photos of your new kitchen. I love belfast sinks!

8. November 4, 2012 2:50 pm

It looks absolutely superb Gill and write now those autumnal notes of spices and roasted plums sound infinitely preferable to strawberries. it looked such a difficult bake to pull off, but you’ve done it good and proper.

Happy Baking in your new kitchen.

9. November 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Love love that winter alternative !!! and beautiful presentation too …nice effort on the french writing Too …
    always nice to see someone turning one of my recipe there own ….
    glad you loved your time at Cake-Boy and learn a bit more about vanilla
    great work !!! E x

• November 14, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for popping over to comment Eric – appreciate it. I think you flatter me on the writing though…need to get my old handwriting books out I think!
      Thanks for a great masterclass – as you can see, it was inspiring

10. November 13, 2012 9:56 am

Stunning – what a professional looking cake. It sounds utterly delicious – beautiful!

• November 14, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks very much – I really enjoyed making it and it did taste rather good!

11. January 17, 2013 3:02 am

This specific blog, “Winter Frasier (Spiced Plum) | Tales of pigling bland” ended up being amazing.
    I’m making out a clone to present to my personal friends.
    Thanks a lot-Winifred

Trackbacks

1. Simple and In Season – the October roundup | Franglais Kitchen
  2. Welcome to Pigling Bland’s kitchen, with added bunting | Tales of pigling bland
  3. April blogger of the month - Gill from Tales of Pigling Bland | Foodies 100