Strawberry Angel Delight Roses (with crunchy chocolate bottoms)

August 24, 2012

Aren’t these pretty? They’re easy too and very open to customisation depending on what’s in the cupboard. I think they would be equally great for a pretty afternoon tea, a kids party, or a picnic. If eaten frozen they taste a lot like strawberry mini-milk lollies, which are one of my favourite things ever.

Update: I’ve been asked where you can get the moulds from. Mine were from Pampered Chef, but are discontinued, so I’m recommending siliconemoulds.com. I have purchased from them before and they are excellent.

dorset cereal based angel delight

Dainty and delicious

Angel Delight Roses with crunchy chocolate bottoms
(I really need a better name for them – suggestions?)

1x packet of angel delight
A large handful granola/oats of a flavour you like the sound of - I used Dorset Cereals dark chocolate and macadmia granola which is brilliant as it uses really dark, fairtrade chocolate with crunchy seeds and big juicy macadamia nuts
A knob of butter
1 heaped tsp dark brown sugar
1 heaped tsp golden syrup

Make the Angel Delight up slightly thicker than normal and pour into a pretty mould or muffin tin leaving a 1cm gap at the top. Put in fridge to start to set.
Melt butter, sugar, syrup in microwave and stir in the granola. It shouldn’t be too liquidy, you want it to set hard. If in doubt, add more granola.
Leave to cool for a few moments and then spoon onto the top of the the angle delight. Press down a tiny bit to make them flat.
Put in the freezer to set fully (they won’t come out of the mould cleanly otherwise)
To serve:
For a picnic – carry them frozen and they will gradually defrost on the way. They do hold their shape.
At home – take out about 1 hr before and leave on the side to defrost, or longer in the fridge.
Or, eat frozen as ice-cream with come hot chocolate sauce.

no bake picnic treat

pretty in pink

I wanted to make these anyway, but it just so happens that I can enter these into the new Zero Baking Required  challenge at Maison Cupcake, Hurrah!

I’m also going to see if I can sneak them into Tea Time Treats which is all about Picnic Pies this month at What Kate Baked…they have a base and a filling and they’d be good for a picnic…reckon I can get away with it?!

kids party idea

Thanks to Dorset Cereals for sending me 4 boxes of their granolas. I’m a massive fan already. They didn’t ask me to write anything nice about them. I just happened to want to!

1. August 24, 2012 11:18 am

Oooh these are so pretty!

• August 24, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks, I was rather pleased with the return on effort. About 1 mins work for something looking rather swanky!

2. August 24, 2012 11:50 am

These look so lovely and sound delicious…perfect for a vintage themed tea party! Where did you get your rose moulds from and how big are they…it’s hard to tell for the pics if these are bite sized or bigger…Thanks!

• August 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Ah, they are about cupcake sized. I actually won the mould in this competition at The Pink Whisk but they are now discontinued at The Pampered Chef sadly. I’ll have a look and see if I can find an alternative for you. In the meantime how about the little heart shaped cake cases you get in kids baking sections in supermarkets sometimes?

• August 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks so much Gill. Now I know the size I’m sure I’ll find something if I keep my eyes peeled. Your suggestion re the heart shaped cases is really helpful too. Ta!

• August 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Right, this shop is really good – I’ve bought things from them before: Siliconemoulds.com They even have the rose one

3. August 25, 2012 8:59 am

VERY posh! I haven’t had angel delight since I was about 8 either! I seem to remember I liked the butterscotch one best, yellow roses would be very pretty too!

• August 25, 2012 9:09 am

He he, it’s not often you can call Angel Delight “posh”!! I like butterscotch too. When I was little and mum didn’t have time to make a pudding we used to play the angel delight game – she’d make up Angel Delight (or similar) of either Toffee, Butterscotch, or Caramel and we had to try and guess which flavour it was.

4. August 25, 2012 11:26 am

What a fantastic idea – this has got my mind going! I wonder what else Angle Delight could be used for,,,!

• August 25, 2012 11:31 am

Yeah, I reckon there has to be a cheese cake trick there…

5. cotswoldcapers permalink
    August 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Gorgeous! Angel Delight is one of my guilty pleasures. Has to be strawberry or butterscotch!

6. August 27, 2012 3:29 pm

these are stunning Gill… so pretty and i’ve never seen anything like it before… way too pos for The Viking who is a massive fan of AD but in a bowl… where’s it’s supposed to be!… BTW, you left a message on Vanessa’s blog about cutlery… it IS most definitely the norm to place your knives and forks together with the blade facing inwards at the end of a meal… it has been for over a century and anyone who hasn’t been taught this is odd… even now kids are taught this in schools up and down the land… I even asked some American cousins of mine and they were taught this as kids too… we were always taught that it signifies you’ve finished eating and ‘closed’ the plate… leaving them open signified you potentially wanted more… if I was eating with someone who didn’t put their knife and fork together I would consider them rude… so there you have it…

• August 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Tell the Viking that this way he can get away with foisting his love of AD in other adults and still be socially acceptable :) thanks for your cutlery research – glad I’m not a total freak, though also feel a bit guilty for the grumpiness with which I accepted my mum’s table training as a teenager!

7. August 28, 2012 10:02 pm

I LOVE! I LOVE! I LOVE ANGEL DELIGHT!!! Absolutely inspired. Genius. Did I mention i LOVE ANGEL DELIGHT!

8. August 28, 2012 10:53 pm

These are simply beautiful. And love the pics Gill

9. August 29, 2012 1:49 pm

These are just so cute, almost like decorations in their own right. Angel delight is always a winner!

10. August 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Ooh, these are so pretty. Who’d have thought angel delight could stand up to such treatment. Butterscotch and strawberry angel delight were very rare treats for me as a kid, so I have very fond memories of it.

11. August 30, 2012 4:39 am

I’m dropping by via TTT. These are so gorgeous. How can anyone bear to eat them?

12. August 30, 2012 8:51 am

Ill admit, I can eat angel delight until it comes out of my eyeballs. LOVE the stuff, and I dont care that as a foodie im not suppose to love it. I do. I really fancy these with chocolate bottoms, make them extra naughty. :-)

13. August 30, 2012 4:19 pm

these are soooo pretty…way too pretty for kids…I’m thinking afternoon tea quality, who would think it’s good old angel delight in them! brilliant! x