Vegetable Tart with Cocoa Puff Pastry

February 25, 2012

And finally…. the third and final part of the over-excited We Should Cocoa trilogy. I’ll try to keep it brief.

Cocoa rough puff pastry + squash, beetroot, tomatoes roasted and  sautéed in port and balsamic vinegar. Who’s in?

No I didn’t badly burn the pastry! It’s cocoa

Cocoa  and Roasted Vegetable Tart

For the filling:
Vegetables of your choosing, sliced into semi-circles.  I’ve used beetroot, squash and cherry tomato you might want to add shallots
A good splash of port
A good splash of balsamic vinegar
A sprinkle of dark brown sugar if you like it more caramelised, but not too much.

For the pastry:
90g plain flour
22g cocoa
You could easily add a pinch of cumin or chili or another spice
56g butter, cubed
56g lard, cubed (I used Trex instead)
roughly 60ml iced water, but go with your instincts
1/4  tbsp lemon juice

You can prepare the filling in advance.
Sautee your veg in a little butter, add the port balsamic vinegar and sugar if needed and carry on cooking until it’s caramelised but not completely falling apart. Put to one side.

Put the cocoa, flour and spices (if using) in a bowl. Add the cubed butter and lard which should be very cold.
Using a metal palette knife or table knife move the butter around in the bowl so it is coated in flour.
Now start to chop into it a bit until the butter is in slightly smaller pieces but still noticeable chunks.
Slowly add a little iced water a little at a time and the lemon, using the knife to cut it in until it starts to come together a bit.
At this point you can use your hands.  Gently push the pastry into a bit of a lump – it’ll still disintegrate a bit.
Turn it out onto the surface and press it into a brick shape. Roll it in one direction only away from you until it’s about 1.5cm thick.
Fold the last third into the middle and then the first third over that. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat.
Put it in the fridge to rest for 10mins and repeat the rolling, folding and turning about four more times.
Rest the pastry again in the fridge, overnight if you have time, though I didn’t and I think it’s ok.

Preheat oven to 200c
Roll out pastry in one direction and cut it into the shape you want your tart to be. I did one rectangle and one circle in individual sizes.
Score border abut 1cm in from the edge all the way around, use a fork to crimp the edges if you so desire. Eggwash the border and put into the oven.
When the pastry is  browned and puffed up, remove from the oven and using a sharp knife remove the section inside the border. Arrange the vegetables nicely in the centre and pop back in the oven to heat through

You may want to knock up a bit more of that port and balsamic vinegar reduction to drizzle over afterwards.

I’d suggest serving with a nice zingy rocket salad. Enjoy

Look at the flaky-ness (technical term)
I should’ve made more port sauce

I will of course post a link to Choclette‘s round up when all the entries are in. In the meantime I’d like to send you off in the direction of Lavender and Lovage whose pairing or beetroot and chocolate I have quite shamelessly ‘borrowed’

About these ads
  1. February 25, 2012 6:15 am

This is my favorite of the 3 we should cocoa entries. Love puff pastry – I’m sure it’s better with cocoa! How did it taste?

• March 2, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks :) I have to admit, the pastry still tasted a bit too chocolatey for my liking. I think it needed something tart like goats cheese on top but I didn’t want to copy other people’s pairings.

I was pondering it earlier and I think I’d prefer ground cacao nobs and maybe some poppyseeds mixed into the pastry for texture + taste. What do you think? I thought the pepperyness of the poppyseeds might work

2. February 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Looks delicious hun! Interesting cocoa in the puff pastry, I did a black bean enchilada with chipolte & cocoa sauce for We Should Cocoa!

• March 2, 2012 12:18 am

Yours looked lovely. I was trying to steer clear of stew type things. I’m glad I tried the cocoa pastry and I’ll definitely make it again, but for a desert.

3. February 25, 2012 6:24 pm

What a great idea! I’ve just posted mine which was very simple and a bit of a cop out!

4. February 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh goodness Gill, is there no stopping you? Another truly impressive entry. Love the idea of chocolate puff pastry. I’m now thinking I should give up my blog and pass it over to you! Beetroot and chocolate is a classic pairing and makes a damn fine cake. Thank you for all of these great ideas.

5. February 26, 2012 6:28 pm

What a fantastic recipe! Cannot believe you encompasses chocolate in a savoury style dish :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Marbled Muffintopcookiecake Hybrid

6. March 1, 2012 3:07 am

Just checked through your we should cocoa entries – great creative recipes – I think I am most amazed at this because you made your own puff pastry and incorporated cocoa but the little biscuits also really appealed to me